Sunday, October 19, 2014

Honor Thy Body

In my attempt to deal with the life change this autoimmunity has brought, I believe I may have at last discovered something.

My body doesn't hate me.

When first diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, I became aware of the fact - I suppose every autoimmuner does at sometime - that the "fighter" cells in my body (meant to kill viruses and intruders) had turned upon my healthy tissue instead.  It felt somewhat akin to employing a security guard, only to have him turn his gun on you and hold you hostage instead.

I felt betrayed. unnatural, abnormal.

Yet in my second Tai Chi class, as I muttered something about "my stupid ankle" my instructor stopped the class to remind us that we need to be thankful for all our bodies do for us each day.  Thankful?  I should be thankful?

Let's give it time, my friends.  Time.