Saturday, June 20, 2009

It's Not Easy Being a Boss/Mom


Remember how Veggie has been working for me in the church office for the past few weeks?

Well perhaps it's not a good idea.

The mother/daughter relationship is fraught with enough pitfalls and perils without adding the strains of an employer/employee relationship to it as well - for listen to what happened when a certain employee was late for work yesterday.

Oh, but I'm getting ahead of myself here. . .


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At 8:00 a.m. I called to Veggie from the foot of the stairs at home. . .


Me: Veg? (I call her that for short, you know . . . it's somehow more endearing. . . ) Veg?

Veggie: Wha?????

Me: Listen. I know you were out until 2:30 in the morning again, but you have to get to work as soon as you can. We've got a big funeral today and I need you in the office before 9:00. I'm leaving now. Did you hear that?

Veggie: Yeah. . .

Me: Promise me you'll get up????

Veggie: Yeah. . . .



So when she still hadn't appeared at 9:25, I placed a call to her in desperation. . .


Veggie: Whaaa????

Me: Did I just wake you up???

Veggie: Whaaa???? Oh . . . I mean. . . . No. . . .

Me: Are you on your way into work???

Veggie: Almost.

Me: (Under my breath, 'cause I never curse out loud. . . especially in the church office. . . ) Jesus Christ!

Veggie: I am not a piece of crap!!!! And don't you call me that again!!!!


And with those parting words, Veggie hung up on me.