Friday, October 15, 2010

The Hidden Dangers of Mother Harassment


So I've noticed that some of my fellow bloggers have been sporting a badge that says I'm an L.G. Text-Ed Ambassador.  It seems  those folks at BlogHer are running a five-week program where various parents discuss teens and texting.   And, yes, they're doing a good job of alerting the public to the dangers of mobile bullying. . . sexting. . . and distracted driving.  They're also offering tips on how to set ground rules for your teen's phone use and how an unsuspecting parent can decode teen's texting lingo. . .


But what about Mother Harassment?  Does anyone else recognize the danger to a mother's mental health when her own flesh and blood lobby a grenade at their mother via a text and then run on to the nearest Frat party, tanning salon, or football game?

 And as I read through the posts on decoding texting lingo, one of the acronyms I see brought up again and again is KPC, which stands for Keep Parents Clueless.

Clueless?  I could only wish!

The following are some real-time texts I have received from my college-aged daughters over the course of the last few weeks. . .

_________________________

I need lollipops!

I need slippers!

I've lost my phone charger so you better stop trying to talk to me!

I need my rainboots!  And three pairs of Ugggs.

Buy me a coffeemaker. I'm spending waaaaaay too much $ on coffee!

I don't know how to fax things!

Did you send my stuff yet?

No problem!  (Whoops! Correction . . . THAT particular text was from my niece!!!)

I forgot to send the forms.  I'll send them now but I need them back by tomorrow!

How much money do I have in my bank account?

U r supposed to know this stuff!

You told me not to overdraw!

What's my user name and password?

I don't know how to do that!

The food here stinks!

Sleeping?  Why r u asleep already?

____________________________

I'll tell you why I'm asleep. . .  because I'm exhausted from being your mother and the only remedy I know is to hop into bed and pull the covers up over my head and pretend I no longer exist!!!


And next time, my friends, we'll move on to the Joys of Facebook Messaging. . .