Wednesday, March 8, 2017

How Does One Blog These Days?

As many of you may realize, I've been out of the blogging business for a while now and feel just a bit like a fish out of water.  How does one blog these days?  And what happened to all of those other blogging voices I used to hear?  I carefully searched for the 109 blogs which I used to follow on a daily basis and, to my dismay, discovered that a mere 36 of them are still up and running.  Think about it.  The majority of these were humor blogs.  Has life become less humorous?  More serious?

Or did my fellow bloggers encounter obstacles like I did?  Did life rise up and hit them with an enormous whammy?  Do they find it now impossible to write about their experiences with illnesses?  Grief?  Loneliness?  How would the funny lady talk about an alcoholic husband?  Drug addicted teenager?  How would a dependable jokester admit to the world that his wife has left him?

Maybe we were always blogging to cover our different sadnesses in some way.  I know that I was writing to save my own sanity.  Perhaps the same is true now.

But part of our human-ness is that we change and grow with life's experiences.  There is no fixed or unchangeable self.  We cannot control what comes our way, but we can control our reaction to it.  Adversity makes us stronger, more compassionate, and allows us to rise above our circumstances.

No comparisons, no advertising, no comments.  This is what I hope my bloggy life will embrace now.  I hope to convince you that, although my disease has limited me somewhat, my disease and I are not one.  I intend to advocate at times, inform at times, and certainly complain at times.  But I hope to still be able to find the humor in life again.

Aaaaaah, humor. . .