Monday, May 18, 2009

A Letter to Veggie Upon Her Graduation from College. . . well, to be exact, two days later. . .



Dear Veg,

What with all the tears, and the dancing, and the eating, and the missed rides, and the accusations of drunkenness, I didn't get to talk to you upon this great and momentous occasion in your life.

And I have some words wisdom I wanted to impart.

And I would have written them to you sooner had your hand-me-down laptop not crapped out on me last night . . . and the other two p.c.'s in the house been gummed up by your sister, Trigger . . . and Ponzi not even letting me near her MacBook and all. . .


But here I am.

And I want to tell you how proud I am of you and the woman you have become. I love your free-spirited-pseudo-flower-child-carefree-coffeeshop approach to life. I love your big and generous heart. And I am delighted with all you have achieved.

I guess if someone asked me to sum up a lifetime of advice in three words (which you haven't) I would say, Don't be afraid.


  • Don't be afraid to be assertive. You know what you want. Make sure others know it too.
  • Don't be afraid to be proactive. You have a good heart and should trust it.
  • Don't be afraid to be smart, skinny, and beautiful all at the same time. . . cause you are. . .
  • Don't be afraid to wear perfect coats. . . .even if women like me stalk you.
  • Don't be afraid to laugh; your laughter is contagious.
  • I already know you're not afraid to cry . . . but I'll say it anyway. I have found tears to be a very effective cleanser.
  • Don't be afraid to love - even though it may get you in a teensie, weensie bit of trouble from time to time.
  • Don't be afraid to forgive when you feel the time is right.
  • Don't be afraid to use funny words cause they make you sound interesting. I - for one - am currently enthralled by the word akimbo and use it at every opportunity.

  • Don't be afraid to be original. Find your own word and flaunt it.
  • Don't be afraid of silence. Solitude does not equal loneliness.
  • Don't be afraid to listen when God talks.
  • Don't be afraid to be picky. Call it discerning if you will. . .
  • Don't ever be afraid to be grateful. . . or joyful . . . or thoughtful . . . or thankful. . . or just plain-old full!
  • Even though you're a free spirit, don't forget to put the grocery cart back in its rightful place after you use it. Some things should just be set right at the end and not left all akimbo. . . .
  • And never. . . ever. . . under any circumstances. . . should you be afraid to be a mother. . . of BOYS!
posted today at 5:58 p.m. on my trusty crap-top. . . .