Friday, November 28, 2008

Thankful - teenage girls - take one (and probably only)

I was going to rant and rave today.


But just this morning I noticed a common thread running through all the blogs that were posted yesterday. . . Yes, these bloggers were thankful., but I noticed something else. They seemed happy too!


Could it be that happiness follows thankfulness? Or could these women be thankful simply because they're so happy?




Whichever way it works - I don't usually give the impression of being thankful or happy - and so I thought I'd give the thankful thing a try today.




For real!



Perhaps I'm a day late and a dollar short, but here goes . .



  • I'm thankful for hair dye.
  • I'm thankful for great authors, and for wine, and for candles.
  • I'm thankful for bath towels and big black garbage bags.
  • I'm thankful for my "Ped Egg" (Best thing ever! Have you tried it???)
  • I'm thankful for the best-est dog on earth.
  • I'm thankful for my husband who never took a 2:00 a.m. feeding, but has stepped up to the plate big-time on the night shift with my teenage girls.
  • I'm thankful for car insurance. (I'd be happy for cell phone insurance too, if I hadn't been too cheap to purchase it.
  • I'm oh-so-thankful for my parents' beach house.
  • Yes, I'm thankful for my job. Where else would I get to comfort a grieving family, call the plumber to fix the men's urinal, and loan $20 to a somewhat wacky man with a gender identity disorder. . . all in a days' work????
  • I'm thankful that two of my daughters have their driver's licenses so they can drive the third one around.
  • I'm thankful for a lot of great people and a few really good friends.
  • I'm thankful for a great extended family, for the gift of poetry in my life, and for 23 years of drama-free marriage to a man who's probably better looking today than the day I married him. (I'm also thankful that he doesn't have to say the same thing about me!)
  • I'm thankful for Tylenol P.M.
  • And my daughters. . . . I'm thankful for the gift of their health and their beauty. . . I'm thankful for their smiles, shouts and smirks. . . their thank you's and their hang-ups. . . . their unguarded moments of truthfulness. . . their rarely-seen-but-well-noted gratitude. . . their growing maturity. . . their willingness to stand up for each other . . and the fact that they each, in their own quirky way, try to show me that they love me.


Hey - that thankful stuff wasn't so bad! I think I might even feel a bit happy!


Now don't expect this from me everyday. . . .