Sunday, December 7, 2008

I Survived the Weekend in Spite of My Teenage Daughters

I couldn't wait until Monday to post the I Survived the Weekend in Spite of My Teenage Daughters post. (You never know. . . something could happen overnight and ruin it, so I wanted to get it all in.)
  • Thank you, Daughter Number One for calling me only after you safely negotiated the Jersey Turnpike and spent the night in Philadelphia for the Army/Navy game. I'm sure you were only looking out for my best interest - knowing that any advance warning on your part would have made me worry unnecessarily. I'll admit that my heart skipped a beat when you told me that there was a story about you and your boyfriend on the front page of the Philadelphia Inquirer (remember, you and the City of Brotherly Love don't exactly get along. . . ) but my anxiety was proven to be unfounded when I saw it was a story about the big game. And so, my friends, rule numbers 1, 2, and 3 have not been violated this weekend - for the car remains in tact, the emergency rooms remain unvisited, and there have been no calls from the Philadelphia police or vice squad of which I am aware.
  • And thank you, Daughter Number Two for simply yelling Mom, shut up! when I was attempting to help you with your college applications. Your good sense and proven restraint allowed me to boast the title of this post, for you did not say Mom, I hate you! - allowing item #10 to stand unchallenged this weekend.
  • And as for Daughter Number Three. . . thank you for holding my hand in The Dreaded Mall yesterday (symbolically, of course, I'd never expect you to actually hold my hand.) I know we got off to a rocky start, but once I bought you that new coat, our little mother/daughter outing picked up. (And no, this purchase did not violate rule #5 about miscellaneous withdrawals from my wallet totalling more than $100, simply because the purchase was put on my credit card.)
And so, dear readers, I hope you all had similarly positive, successful, and incident-free weekends.
Of course you know where to find a sympathetic ear just in case you didn't. . .