Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A reading from the first letter of Saint Liz to her teenagers


My dear teenagers,

What can separate you from the love of a parent?

Can bad deeds . . .or cell phone bills . . . boyfriends . . .thongs. . . or Starbucks . . . ever keep me from loving you?

No, my dears . . . for I have determined to stick with you through it all.

For I am convinced that neither lies . . . nor make-up . . . nor cigarette burns. . . nor tanning goggles. . . nor broken curfews. . . nor belly button piercings. . . nor eyebrow threading . . . or costly pedicures . . . nor automobile accidents . . . nor credit card bills . . . nor police blotters . . . nor Ralph Lauren bikinis. . . nor water bottles . . . nor vodka bottles. . . or vodka bottles posing as water bottles . . . nor parking tickets . . . nor speeding tickets . . . nor concert tickets. . . nor vegetarian eating. . . or even "disordered" eating . . nor I hate you's . . . nor family therapy sessions . . . . nor messy rooms. . . nor emergency rooms . . . will ever be enough to change my love for you!
None of these . . . do you understand? . . . NONE OF THE ABOVE . . . .will ever keep me from loving you!
Call me crazy, but I just think that maybe you need to be reminded of that from time to time. . .


There. . . now do I still have to go to family therapy?????