Sunday, March 15, 2009

Question: What's the difference between Ponzi and Bernie Madoff . .


Answer: Ponzi is still free to roam the streets.


For did we really want to hear her incessant complaints if she were forced to remain under "house" arrest? I think not. And that cumbersome ankle bracelet would never fit around her Uggs anyway. . .

Now, you all remember about what I like to refer to as My Sorry Lenten Promise? (You know, the one I was sorry I made about two hours after making it???? The one in which I gave up complaining about my teenage daughters for the 40 Days and Nights of the Lenten season. . . )

And so - in keeping with that promise - I would like to take this opportunity to tell you all just how proud I am of Ponzi and her creative and entrepreneurial spirit. For listen to the money she bilked from me in just the last week. . .

Sunday: Her friend informed me. . . Mrs. Mom on Spin, I gave Ponzi money today. . . to which I replied, Oh, I'll pay you back, sweetheart. She's always borrowing from me too. . . to which she replied, No, this was the money I owed you for the concert ticket! I wanted to tell you because I know she wouldn't tell you. (I knew I liked that girl!!!) . . . to which, when I questioned Ponzi as to the whereabouts of the eighty dollars, she answered, Oh I think it's in the car. I'll get it later. . .

Monday: I received a frantic call from Trigger from their shared car. . . I had sixty dollars of my babysitting money in the glove compartment and it's not here anymore. Ponzi took it! . . . which, upon hearing, I proceeded to awaken Ponzi and ask, Did you take Trigger's money??? . . . to which she replied. . . I thought it was mine! Remember, from the concert ticket. . .

which brings us to . . .

Tuesday: A phone call from Ponzi. . . Mom, I'm going to The Mall to buy Suzie's birthday present from all the girls, can I have your card? . . . to which I responded, Why do you have to front all the money for the present? . . . to which she quipped, I'm the only one who knows what she wants, Mom! I was with her at the Mall the other day and she showed me what she wanted. My friends are all going to pay me back Mom! I swear!

Wednesday: Face to face with Ponzi . . . Can I have twenty dollars, I'm meeting Kellie at the Mall for dinner? Oh, and there's no gas in the car I need money for that too . . . to which I replied, Use your own money for dinner! . . . to which she rsponded, But you never gave me my meal money for the week! . . . .to which I inquired, Well, where's the $80 you owe me for the ticket money? And how about the babysitting money? Did your sister ever get that back?? . . . to which she replied, Well, I had to spend $40 on gas and I had to buy lunch, you know. And I bought some coffee for Trigger the other day and she never paid me back! . . . to which I replied, Well if you already put gas in the car, how can you need it again? . . . to which she responded, Trigger must have used it all!

Now by Thursday, I was just plain old hiding from my own daughter.

And by Friday, I left my wallet open on the kitchen table so she could take my last twenty to have pizza with her boyfriend.

And so by Saturday, I was flat broke and she was forced to set her sights on her father. . . I need money to go to the Brittany Spears concert can I have $40? . . . to which he replied, You're sitting in a VIP box with a VIP parking pass. You won't need any money! . . . .to which she replied, I don't know, Dad! Have you ever sat in a VIP box before? How do you know I won't need money???? . . . to which my husband had no reply at all and forked over $40!
Congratulations on a successful week of swindling, Ponzi dear! But could you target someone else next week???
Just wondering. . .