Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Daughter Number One returns home



I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.

And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.

~Edward Everett Hale


For all who are wondering. . .


Yes, Daughter Number One made it home from her service trip to Guatemala safe and sound. . . and, Yes, she loved it. . . and No, she didn't even mind the bugs. . . and Yes, she desperately wants to go back for her spring break. . . and Yes, she still wants to join the Peace Corps when she graduates in May. . . and Yes, in an unpredictably strange way, her mother has come around to her decision. . . and Yes, her often reticent mother is proud of her!


While there she helped to build a home for a poor Mayan family . . .


Each home costs approximately $3,000, which covers the cost of the construction materials, transportation, salaries, rent, office expenses, etc. Our homes are 13 x 19 foot homes, made entirely of concrete block, with cement floor, corrugated metal roof, with skylight, a metal door with lock, and a metal-framed window with glass. The home is stuccoed and painted inside and out with colors chosen by the home owner. A plaque with your name will be placed on the home honoring your donation.

Don't forget to check out their site http://www.fromhousestohomes.org/